Thursday, October 9, 2008

Nevermind

Thursday, October 9, 2008
The house of cards called the American economy (you can include the world economy as well) continued to crash today. One year ago today, on 10/9/07, the Dow Jones hit an all-time high at 14,164, today it closed down 678 points at 8,579. I mentioned Ford earlier this week, well now GM, the largest American automaker, fell to $5.41, its lowest level since December 1950. How crazy is that? The common saying for many decades now has been “as GM goes, America goes.” Well, now that GM is worth as much today as it was 58 years ago, what does that say about America? Think about it, 1950, Truman was President, the Korean War was being waged, the Cold War was starting to heat up, no cell phones, no personal computers or the internet. Is that where we are again? Glad I’m not a loser out there looking for a job now! Oh wait, I am. Nevermind.

There is still 26 days until the election and anything can happen before then but, as a political science graduate, I will say I would be surprised if Barack Obama is not our next President.

I'm worse at what I do best, And for this gift I feel blessed, Our little group has always been, And always will until the end, hello,hello,hello how low? And I forget, Just why I taste, Oh yeah, I guess it makes me smile, I found it hard, It was hard to find, Oh well, whatever, nevermind, hello,hello,hello how low?

This was just a full day of ups and downs. Knock on wood, I finally got rid of the final virus on the living room computer that had been haunting me for nearly a month! I spent so many hours working on it and I think I finally conquered it! I did meet Angela tonight and had a great time! She has lost every bit of 40 pounds and looked very pretty. We went to Bob Evans and stayed at her house for a while afterwards. She gave me the “You’re very cute but need to gain some weight” line that I’m so used to anymore. She is a chain smoker now and said it is due to stress. We still had the same connection that we always had in the past. Even though it was nearly a year ago that we last met, we picked up like that was just yesterday. She is doing very well and is quite successful. She has a new SUV (I’ve never owned a brand new car), a good career, friends, family, and she is out in the world on her own. We live in two different worlds. She said we need to get together again and to give her a call sometime. I definitely want to see her again. Yet, at the same time I feel exposed again. Whenever we venture out into the world we are exposed to the dangers that lurk in the shadows. Some people believe “nothing ventured means nothing gained” but it also means accepting that large risk. I don’t like taking risks.

After leaving Angela’s, I took the normal route home, which is the same route I used to take several nights a week from college. I relived those college years on my drive home. I was actually happy then, during those college years, truly happy. That period of my life seems so long ago – almost like it took place in another universe. Mom was around then and I felt there was meaning to life. What is scary is that period wasn’t a long time ago, it was only 3 years ago. But if I ran into myself from that period, I probably wouldn’t realize that I am the same person now. How did my whole world get turned upside down in these 3 short years? I’ll never get that back. That is why I am pessimistic about the future. There is nothing I can do bring the youth and innocence back. I can’t bring mom back. I can’t go back to college. I can’t get back to where I once belonged.

3 comments:

horsesforcourses said...

Lovely poetic post.

Politics? Don't get me started...

Hello, hello, hello, how how?

You have a wonderfully dry sense of humour, that I can certainly relate to. Laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and you cry alone. Can't I do both, with at least a fellow depressive for company? ;-)

Peace and love

Rasp xXx

Laura said...

Good for you for getting out with Angela. I'm glad you had a good time.

* I'm very sorry about the loss of your mother. What a huge impact it must be having on your life.

JC said...

Wow, what a great post. You are an excellent writer!! I have been learning about the economy from you, mainly, so thank you ;) and I was sharing your political graduate knowledge with him and I don't know if you mean to be funny at times, but there are these really comical peaks that come out of your remarks here and there.

And I am so pleased to hear about Angela and what a good time you had! You're right about venturing out can be risky, but when you think of the risk vs. benefit scenario, chances are it's better to have tried and failed then to have never tried at all. Where does success start?

Sorry I feel like a preacher! I'm rooting for you, all the way :)