Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The real world

Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Cooler here today, high around 60, so it is starting to feel like fall. Old man Carl is here painting the house and the dogs are not happy. Listened to “Coast To Coast AM” in which Jim Marrs, a conspiracy theorist claimed the Bush administration will use the economic crisis to suspend the Presidential election. I highly doubt it. Also, economic analyst Gerald Celente was on “Coast to Coast AM.” Celente said the current economic crisis will get much worse and be worse than the Great Depression of 1929. That is a lot of doom and gloom and quite over the top, however, Celente’s forecasts have been right on the mark over the past 20 months and his work is well documented and dated. One final doom and gloom message for today came from guest Matthew Stein on “Coast to Coast AM.” Stein spoke about peak oil and how it will impact the world. Conventional world oil production peaked in 2005 and that corresponds with the large increase in oil and gas prices. I do think peak oil is the single greatest issue facing the world – worse than economics, worse than disease and warfare, and worse than global warning. In my opinion, 5 years from now, we’ll look back fondly at $3.50 a gallon for gas.

Debra called tonight and spoke with dad. She said I should read “The Story of Edgar Sawtelle” since she thinks I would like it. She was surprised we aren’t having a wiener roast at the farm since we have for the past 6 years. Dad received a call about the Jeep today and the prospective buyer took it home tonight to try it out. It looks like someone is finally interested in buying the Jeep.

I wonder what it's like to be the head honcho, I wonder what I'd do if they all did just what I said, I'd shout out an order, I think we're out of this man get, me some boy don't make me wanna change my...tone, my tone, Straight up, what did you hope to learn about here, If I were someone else, would this all fall apart, Strange, where were you, when we started this gig, I wish the real world, would just stop hassling me.

I’ve been getting bored lately. There is rarely anything worth watching on tv (not that I need to watch more tv but I have nothing else to do, I’m unemployed) and I can’t think of a single new show this year that I want to see. So I’ve mostly been stuck watching the cable news channels, which means financial doom 24/7. It is starting to take its toll on me. It is like after the 9/11 attacks, you couldn’t watch the news coverage for days on end or it would drive you insane. Oh wait, I’m looking forward to going insane, aren’t I? My life is like the Seinfeld episode in which Kramer (who has no room to talk himself), asks unemployed loser George Costanza, “Do you even have any reason to get up out of bed in the morning” and George responds, “Well…I like to get the daily news.” I am one of those few people that could be happily unemployed – I don’t need to be entertained, don’t need movies, video games, etc., I’m quite content to read, be outside with the Chow or even relax and literally do nothing. But I can’t relax during this time off. I’m still under so much pressure. This “pressure” is what most people would just call “the real world” but the real world sucks. I am “Bartleby the Scrivener,” as my whole life can be summed up as “I’d prefer not to.” I’m not a lazy person, I just have no desire. I don’t sit around playing games, I’m not addicted to the internet, I don’t drink or go out and party, I don’t spend much money, and I eat very little. I was really good at baseball and basketball in junior high so my dad begged me (literally) to play the sports in high school but I had no desire. I’m not a bad looking guy but I don’t go out and socialize, I don’t try to court women, I just lack the desire. I could have stayed at my first job after college with guaranteed job security and lived a comfortable upper middleclass lifestyle but I hated the job and lacked the desire to stay. I only have a desire to survive, not to live and enjoy a full life. Just survive day to day. That is the story of my life. What is wrong with me?

1 comment:

JC said...

I don't think anything is wrong with you, pink. I'm the same as you in a lot of ways in the way that you described them. I am also unemployed with the wonderings of what I should or can be doing in life. I've tried a lot of things lately, but I really understand where you're coming from.

I learn so much from the things you choose to write about. Like the economy and politics like you did today. You're blogging, and you're doing a good job at it, so at least that's one thing, right?

Keep it up, I look forward to your writings!